PET has transformed the bottled water and carbonated soft drinks markets. It has had less success with beer, fruit drinks and milk.
Now Sidel has come up with a real contender for beer. Its new bottle:
- has a smooth round base like glass
- can take a crown cap like other beer bottles
- saves up to 86% of the weight of glass
- withstands flash and tunnel pasteurisation
- offers a six month shelf life
- and, of course, it’s clear, doesn’t shatter and so on.
At the moment, although 5 billion bottles of beer are sold in PET each year, this represents only 2% of total consumption. It’s not hard to imagine this figure rising substantially in the coming years.